Final Average From Multiple Gradebooks
Goal: Create two or more term gradebooks and a final average gradebook consisting of the averages of the individual term gradebooks. Each term average is equally counted in the final average.
Example: I teach a year long course but need individual term gradebooks. The final grade is the average of the individual term grades.
Note: The example below using quarters as the term.
Create Your Gradebooks
In this scenario you will need to create five gradebooks:four quarter gradebooks and a final average gradebook.. This image illustrates how these gradebooks should be created:
The Final Average gradebook is set to a minimum date range of two days. The Final Average gradebook will be used to import the averages for each student from the other gradebooks.
To create these gradebooks, hover over the Course Center menu on the navigation bar of your Portal homepage and choose one of your courses from the pull-down menu that appears.
Since School Loop starts you off with a default gradebook, it's easiest to make this the first of your separate gradebooks by simply editing the name and date range. Click the Edit link next the name of the default gradebook in the Course Center. If you have already published grades in this gradebook, remember to republish after editing the date range.
To create additional gradebooks:
- In the Gradebooks section click the Add New Gradebook button.
- On the next page, enter a name for your gradebook. We recommend that you include the term (e.g. "Algebra I Q2").
- Set the start and end dates to correspond to the first and last day of the grading period.
- Click Submit.
Be sure to give each gradebook an appropriate name and be careful that the start and end dates are accurate for each term.
Hint: We recommend that you run your gradebooks back-to-back without any days between gradebooks. For example, if the 2nd quarter starts on October 16, you should end the previous gradebook on October 15. If there are gaps between gradebooks, assignments due on those dates will not show in appear in any of your gradebooks.
To import scores from term gradebooks:
- From the Course Center, in the Gradebooks section, open the Final Average gradebook.
- Add four assignments to the gradebook to represent the quarter averages - each assignment should have the same max point value - 100. For example, assignments could be called Quarter 1 Average, Quarter 2 Average, etc.
- To enter the student's average from each quarter gradebook, click the name of the assignment to open the Assignment Scoresheet.
- Click the dropdown arrow next to "Import Gradebook Scores" and select the gradebook that contains the quarter average. If the assignment is for quarter 1, select the gradebook that corresponds to quarter one; Save & Stay.
- Repeat for each of the remaining assignments.
- Gradebook will now display a final average.
- Publish grades from gradebook for parents and student to view.